A whipped cream recipe seems like such a basic recipe to have, but you would be surprised at how many people have a problem making it, or think that it is too much of a bother to make! But trust me, once you start making homemade whipped cream, you won’t ever want to go back to buying the pre-made stuff in the refrigerator or the freezer section of your grocery store!
I grew up on homemade whipped cream (my mom would never buy the store-bought stuff) and there are a few tips that my mom always told me when it comes to making it that make all the difference in the world:
- Chill your beaters, bowl and cream in the freezer for at least 15 minutes before making this. Having everything chilled can be the difference between your whipped cream recipe being done in just a few minutes, or taking 10 minutes.
- Never overwhip your cream. There is a critical time when your cream will go from soft peaks to butter (or a “grainy consistency”). This will happen even faster if you have chilled everything in advance. Just keep an eye on your cream while it whipping and stop as soon as it hits the soft peak stage!
To make homemade whipped cream, you will just need a few simple ingredients:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Chill bowl and beaters in the freezer for at least 15 minutes before you are ready to make whipped cream.
- Add heavy cream and sugar to mixing bowl and mix on high for about 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla
- Mix on high for another 1-2 minutes, watching carefully, until soft peaks form.
One great way to see if it is ready is to use the “spoon test”. Simply scoop up some cream on a spoon and turn it upside down. If the whipped cream clings to the spoon, it is ready!
This whipped cream recipe can be used to top your favorite pie, substituted for whipped cream in a recipe where you might have purchased pre-made refrigerated or frozen topping, or my favorite way – with fresh berries!