A classic on any cookie tray is always thumbprint cookies. This Cherry Thumbprint Cookie recipe is yet another easy cookie recipe to make with the kids. Using cherry pie filling will give the cookies just enough moisture to make them irresistible!
The dough can be made ahead of time, formed in to balls with the thumbprint. When you are ready to bake them, just place the frozen balls on a parchment-lined cookie sheet, allow to thaw for about 15 minutes and then add the cherry filling!
Cherry Thumbprint Cookie Recipe
To make them, you will need:
- 1 cup softened Butter
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 cup Flour
- 1 can Cherry Pie Filling
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1-2 tsp Milk
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Mix in flour (your dough will look crumbly).
- Roll dough into round balls and place on a parchement-paper lined cookie sheet.
- Make thumbprints in each dough ball and fill with your a cherry from the pie filling.
- Bake for 15 mins until edges start to get lightly brown and cookie sets up.
- Allow to cool on cookie sheet for 15 minuutes.
- Mix powdered sugar with milk to make a thick glaze.
- Place in corner of zipper bag and clip corner to pipe.
- Pipe icing in perpendicular lines across cookie to decorate.
You can also easily use apple pie filling (you will probably need to cut up the apples a little), blueberry pie filling or any other filling! Just have fun with them!