We are continuing in our series on essential oils because I want you to know all the great ways that they can change your life and help you move towards a more natural lifestyle. If you are brand new to oils, be sure to check out my “Getting Started with Essential Oils” post!
Think about all of the products that have the smell of peppermint in them! Mouthwash, toothpaste, shampoo (especially anti-dandruff shampoo!) and body washes are just a few that come to mind. It's not ironic that they all contain peppermint! In fact, there is even a reason that peppermints are handed out when you are leaving the restaurant.
Peppermint is powerful and you can get all of the benefits with these uses for peppermint essential oils! Whether you are just looking into using essential oils (be sure to check out this great deal on a starter kit that includes a FREE gift from me!) or you have been using them for a while, here are 10 fabulous uses for peppermint oil
- Not Everyone Loves Peppermint While people love peppermint not all critters are fans! The scent of peppermint will keep ants, aphids, beetles, plant lice, mice, cockroaches and spiders away. Whew! Quite the list huh?
- Speaking of pests…In the event that a tick burrows itself and tries to move in on your body, put some peppermint essential oil on a cotton ball. Put it over the area and the tick will crawl out making it easy to remove it!
- Bug Bites … What Bug Bites? Bug bites stink! Mix up a few drops of peppermint (it's great to mix with lavender as well!) and it will cool, soothe and help you to stop itching. This is great for also using on sunburns (you know, for that horrible sunburn stage where it stops hurting, but is itchy?)
- Italian Restaurants Know! Most Italian restaurants I've been to have something in common besides the linguine. They usually hand out mints after your dinner. You may have thought that they do it to be nice, but the truth is there is a reason! Peppermint acts as an anti-acid fighting heartburn and acid reflex which those creamy sauces can be known to cause! Peppermints also help to aid in digestion.
- Peppermint – A Dental Trend You may have noticed that peppermint is in just about every dental product! Ironic? Hardly! Besides giving you fresh breath, peppermint helps to act as a natural muscle relaxant and pain killer. It can help people who battle against painful gums, teething and for those who have had recent dental work.
- Sinus Relief If you are suffering from stuffed up sinuses, take a few deep breaths and inhale the sweet, minty scent of peppermint to help clear out your sinuses.
- Headache Relief Tension headaches can be rough. If you feel a headache coming on, place a few drops of peppermint essential oil behind your ears, on your forehead and on your temples. It will help blood flow and help to keep that headache at bay.
- ENERGY Peppermint is known for giving you energy! Take a breath to help motivate you before a workout, for an afternoon boost or to help wake up in the morning. My favorite way to use it is by adding a drop to your shampoo! The smell will help wake you up and feel energized. But that's not all! Peppermint will help keep your scalp healthy and fight off dandruff. (Now you know why Head & Shoulders use it!)
- Dieting? Meet Your Friend Peppermint! When you are dieting, cravings can be hard to deal with. Keep some peppermint with you and smell it to help yourself fight off cravings and feel full. If you are using an oil that is safe to take internally (like Young Living), put a few drops of oil in your water bottle. I spike my water with either peppermint oil or lemon oil every single day!
- …Because I'm Happy! Peppermint is a happy scent. It's hard to be in a bad mood with the scent of peppermint! Keep peppermint essential oil around to keep your energy level up and your happiness level up as well!
Do you have any other uses for peppermint essential oils to share?
Find out more about Essential Oils on my Getting Started With Essential Oils post and be sure to check back as I share more awesome uses for the Essential Oils that are included in the Young Living Premium Starter Kit! Don't forget that you can get a free Essential Oils Reference Book when you purchase a Premium Starter Kit!Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please confirm any information obtained from or through this web site with other sources, and review all information regarding any medical condition or treatment with your physician. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment because of something you have read on this website. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease.