If you are still looking for another easy dessert recipe for your July 4th party, these 4th of July Cakes in a Jar are so easy to make an will make an impression on your guests when you place them on the table.
Most of you know by now that I am a huge fan of recipes in a jar and while this cake in a jar recipe isn't actually cooked in the jar, it is served in a jelly jar making it once again, perfect for portion control and for giving the dessert a nice “rustic look”
Hennyway – to make these 4th of July Cake in a Jar recipe, you will need:
- 1 box White Cake Mix + ingredients to make cake
- 3 Egg Whites
- 1/3 cup Vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup softened Butter
- 1 tbsp Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 cups Powdered Sugar
- Red and Blue Food Coloring
- 1/4 cup White Melting Chocolate
- Other equipment needed: 6 jelly jars, 2″ – 2 1/4″ cookie cutter, small star cookie cutter
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Preparre batter according to box directions.
- Divide batter in half and add red food coloring to 1/2 of the batter.
- Spray 2 9″ x 13″ pans with cooking spray.
- Bake each batter in a 9×13 pan for 15 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove cakes from oven and allow both to cool.
- Cut 12 circles from each cake using a 2″-2 1/4″ cutter (or wash an empty can of about the same size and use that).
- Place alternating red and white cake circles in jar until 4 slices are in place.
- Cream butter and shortening together in a medium bowl
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar, and milk as needed, until everything is incorporated and frosting is right consistency.
- Add several drops of blue food color and whip a few more minutes to get even color.
- Transfer frosting to corner of zippered bag and clip corner of the bag to pipe.
- Top each cake with a generous amount of frosting.
- Melt chocolate by heating in microwave for 30 seconds and stirring and repeating until melted and smooth.
- Pour melted chocolate out on to a piece of parchment paper or a non-stick baking mat and allow to set until nearly solid.
- Cut stars out with a small star cookie cutter and place on top of frosting.
Serve and enjoy!
Do you have any other easy dessert recipes that you like to make for the 4th of July?