Summary: Looking for a way to cram some healthier ingredients in to a delicious treat that your children will love? This recipe is for you!
- 1 1/2 cups shredded peeled apples
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar, plus 3/4 cup, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 cup butternut squash puree
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup white flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk
- To prepare cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups with cupcake liners or coat with cooking spray.
- Combine shredded a in a bowl with 3 tablespoons brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Set aside. Beat butternut squash & the remaining 3/4 cup brown sugar in a large mixing bowl until well combined. Beat in eggs & vanilla.
- Whisk flours, baking soda, salt and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Alternately add the dry ingredients and buttermilk to the batter, starting and ending with dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in the reserved apple mixture until just combined. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. (The cups will be full.)
- Bake the cupcakes for 20 to 22 minutes
Check out the rest of the recipe (including the recipe for the Brown Sugar Frosting) at O'Boy Organic
Number of servings (yield): 12
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)