Recipe: Banana Brown Sugar French Toast
recipe and photo courtesy of Lynnea at Lynnea’s Recipes.
- 8 pieces of bread
- 2 eggs
- heavy whipping cream (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon (or more) cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (or more) vanilla
- 6 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 2 bananas, sliced
- powdered sugar for dusting
- canola oil (about 1 Tablespoon) or cooking spray
- In a pie plate, beat eggs; add cream until color of egg and cream is a pale buttery yellow. Add granulated sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Whisk to incorporate.
- Heat large griddle over medium-low heat with canola oil or cooking spray.
- Dip bread into egg-cream mixture, making sure each side is coated and saturated.
- Place bread onto griddle.
- Flip after 2-3 minutes, cooking each side until golden brown.
- Repeat with all pieces of bread.
- While French Toast is cooking, in a small skillet, place butter, brown sugar and sliced bananas. Heat until simmering, golden and fragrant (about 3 minutes). (Butter and brown sugar will create a glaze/syrup on bananas).
- Remove from heat.
- Place banana mixture over French Toast slices and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve hot!
Mindi's Note: what an indulgent breakfast! My children absolutely adored it and it was much better for them than topping their French Toast with processed pancake syrup!
Cooking time (duration): 15
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Thanks again to Lynnae of Lynnea’s Recipes. Make sure you check out her site, especially her 15 minutes or less recipes!