I was so happy when Aimee from Just Kidding Around Atlanta submitted this recipe. It reminds me exactly of my grandmothers Sugar Cream Pie! Make sure you check out Aimee's complete collection of recipes!
Recipe: Nana's Buttermilk Pie
- 2 c. sugar
- 4 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted
- 1 1/3 c. buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 unbaked pie shells
- 5 large eggs, beaten
- 4 Tbsp self rising flour
- 1 tsp lemon extract (or a dash of lemon juice)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cream sugar and butter together.
- Add flour, beaten eggs and mix to combine
- Add the buttermilk, vanilla and lemon extract or juice, and whisk it all together.
- Pour into the unbaked pie crusts and place on a baking sheet. Transfer pies on baking sheet in to the oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown on top, and it tests done with a toothpick.
Mindi's Note: I am thinking this would be fantabulous with some nutmeg sprinkled on top!
Cooking time (duration): 60 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 16 (2 pies, 8 slices each)
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (Southern)