French bread pizzas are the perfect football food and this Cheesy Philly-Style Beef French Bread Pizza is sure to be a hit!
Weekends in the Fall and part of the Winter are all about football in our house. Conveniently, the weather is also getting cooler, so it is the same time that we start eating “heartier” meals and snacks. I mean, nothing against a good carrot stick dipped in hummus….but that isn't exactly “football food”! This dish (as well as my BLT Bruschetta recipe) is certainly “football food”!
I originally was going to call these “Philly Cheesesteak French Bread Pizzas”, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it for one important reason – because I use ground beef for this recipe and as any Philadelphian knows – a true Philly Cheesesteak uses thinly-sliced sirloin.
So – Beef French Pizza it was!
But the ground beef was easier and the flavors are still there…so we compromised and called it “Philly-Style Beef”!
Hennyway….a few notes about this Cheesy Philly-Style Beef French Bread Pizza:
- I prefer to use lean ground beef to keep all the flavors in the pan, and it makes it just a little healthier. If you use regular ground beef, I suggest draining it very well before adding the frozen vegetables, so that you don't have as greasy of a pizza. You could also use ground chicken or turkey as well.
- Using different types of cheese gives this great flavor, but you could really use any kind you like. I also like to go lighter on the cheese, but feel free to add as much as you want.
- To make this quick and easy, I use a frozen pepper blend, but you could certainly use fresh veggies if you prefer. Mushrooms would also be good in this!
- I alternate between using a French bread and a Ciabatta bread when I make this. Really – when I am at the bakery counter, it depends on which bread is flatter so that, when the top half is on the baking sheet in the oven, it isn't tilting.
Scroll down for the recipe!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup frozen pepper and onion blend
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 10" Ciabatta loaf or French Bread
- Italian parsley for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil or non-stick cooking paper and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the ground beef, salt and pepper and cook for 4-5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Add the frozen peppers and onions and cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes or until all of the moisture has evaporated.
- Remove the meat and vegetable mixture from the pan and add it to a large bowl. Allow it to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add all of the cheese to the meat mixture and stir to combine.
- Slice the bread horizontally and lay both pieces with the cut side up on the baking sheet.
- Spoon the meat mixture on top of the bread, using your hands to mound it evenly and gently press it down.
- Bake for approximately 10 - 15 minutes or until all the cheese has melted and the edges of the bread are slightly browned.
- Allow it to cool for about five minutes before serving.
- Cut into serving size pieces and sprinkle with Italian parsley and extra Parmesan cheese, if desired.