Recipe: Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas With Jack Cheese
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa, mild, medium or hot
- 1/4 cup + 4 teaspoons sour cream, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 1/3 cups shredded Monterey jack and or Cheddar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute 2 minutes.
- Add chicken and saute 5 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Stir in black beans, green chiles, and salsa and simmer 5 minutes, until sauce thickens and reduces.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- Allow the mixture to cool about 10 minutes, then stir in 1/4 cup sour cream
- Arrange 4 tortillas on a flat surface. Spread 1 tsp. sour cream on each.
- Top each tortilla with an equal amount of the chicken mixture. Roll up tortillas and place side by side in a shallow baking dish. Top tortillas with shredded cheese.
- Cover baking pan with foil
- Bake enchiladas 20 minutes, until cheese is melted and and enchiladas are heated through!
I often substitute cooked shredded chicken. To do this, simply saute the onion and garlic a few extra minutes (being careful not to burn the garlic) and add the chicken when you add the beans, salsa, chiles, etc.
Cooking time (duration): 30
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: Mexican