There are so many nights when you need a quick and easy recipe and this easy chicken casserole recipe can be the perfect dinner on those days when you just want to throw something together quickly.
Now – when I think of chicken casseroles, I usually think of some sort of chicken/rice/”cream of whatever” soup/frozen vegetables concoction. Let me tell you – I have “cream of whatever” soups and my children aren’t going to eat broccoli, no matter how much cheese and cream sauce you dump on it. I needed to get a little more creative.
Chicken Parmesan is a favorite in our house, so I knew that this recipe would make my family happy – and it was just such an easy chicken casserole recipe that I think that the next time that I make it, I am just going to line up a bunch of foil pans and make extras for the freezer (just like I did with my super easy macaroni & cheese recipe). I saw some variations of this recipe online, but most of them involved starting with raw chicken and I didn’t like the idea of all the rest of the ingredients basically boiling in the chicken juice/fat as it cooked.
Super easy solution! Use cooked chicken!
To make my Chicken Parmesan Casserole, you will need:
- 2 lbs cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts (shredded or cubed)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups prepared pasta sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 oz freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- 3.5-5 oz bag of croutons, crushed (I like the Texas Toast Garlic ones)