When it comes to comfort food, you can’t get more much more comfortable than my easy chicken and dumplings recipe! This is just easy to make and a great way to use up leftover chicken (I’ve actually used the leftover chicken from my crockpot chicken noodle soup recipe for this!). If you are making this with already-cooked chicken, just skip to #2 in the directions!
To make this, you will need:
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (or just under 1 lb cooked shredded chicken breasts)
- 32 oz (4 cups) chicken stock
- 32 oz (4 cups) water
- 5 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 – 3 stalks celery, chopped (about 3/4 cup chopped)
- 2 tsp butter
- 1/2 – 1 small package frozen peas (to taste)
- 1/2 – 1 small package frozen corn (to taste)
- salt & pepper to taste
- If using raw chicken: place chicken breasts, water, chicken stock and bouillon cubes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until chicken is cooked. Remove chicken and allow to cool
- If using cooked shredded chicken: put, water, chicken stock and bouillon cubes and bring to a boil.
- While the water/stock is boiling, mix Bisquick and milk together until you have a soft dough.
- Drop spoonfuls of the dough in to the water/stock and bring back to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a non-stick skillet. Saute celery in the butter until it begins to soften.
- Remove cover from pot. Add sauteed celery, peas, corn and chicken.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes until completely heated through and dumplings are cooked.
- Season with salt & pepper and serve!
Do you have a favorite easy chicken and dumplings recipe in your recipe box? Share it in the comments!