As we head in to the holidays, many people find themselves drinking a little more than normal. From the parties at work, with your friends, brunches, Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years dinners, there are more glasses being passed and you don't want to be facing a hangover!
Of course, you should always drink responsibly and I am NOT giving you this recipe as an excuse to drink more…and you should NEVER drink and drive (did I include all the disclaimers?)….but it might be helpful for those of you who might over-indulge at this time of year!
I love juicing for so many reasons, but mainly because it allows me to get lots of nutrients in to my body very quickly. As I have mentioned several times, I have been having some “digestive issues” for the past year and, despite having a bunch of tests, we still haven't figured anything out yet.
That is why I rely on juicing to keep me healthy until we can get a “handle” on what is wrong. As I juice more and more, I am learning more about what fruits and vegetables are best to support which systems in your body (that is why I always make sure to have my liver-cleansing beet juice on hand – because we think that my medical problems are either my liver or gallbladder, although I pass both those tests)
Anyway, while pear juice is now thought to be an effective way to prevent a hangover (as long as you drink it BEFORE you start drinking alcohol), the other ingredients in this Ginger Pear Detox Juice can also help you with that hangover – both before and after you drink!
Here is why:
- Pears (Asian pears are best if you are looking to avoid a hangover): act as an anti-inflammatory and can help reduce alcohol absorption rate (if you drink it BEFORE alcohol). Additionally, pears can help lower cholesterol and help relieve constipation
- Cucumber: An excellent source of Vitamin K, calcium, potassium and copper, cucmber juice will boost your hydration, help to flush out toxins and help with digestion
- Ginger: Along with pears, it is an anti-inflammatory (which can help you with that “morning after puffiness”) that also helps with digestion and migraines. It can even help to lower your blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Lemon: a source of Vitamin C, lemon juice can help jump-start your digestive system, reduce nausea, boost your immune system and help to remove toxins in your body!
This Ginger Pear Detox Juice should make 2 – 3 servings (depending on how good your juicer is), so you should have plenty to drink both before you go out, as well as the next morning
- 1 large cucumber
- 3 large pears (Asian pears are best), quartered, stem and seeds removed
- 1 lemon, peeled
- 2" piece of fresh ginger (more to taste)
- Process all ingredients in your juicer, according to manufacturers instructions