My obsession with truffles continues and these Santa Hat Truffles will be the perfect companion for the Snowman Truffles that I shared with you the other day (and don't forget about my Peppermint Oreo Cookie Balls and my Oreo Truffles!). This would be a great project to do with the kids – they will have a ball making these!
To pipe the icing for the beard and hat, you can just fill a zipper-bag with icing, snip of a corner and pipe the icing that way…but if you really want it to look nice, you should use a star tip. You can get a really basic cake decorating set pretty inexpensively, but for just a little more, you can get the Wilton Decorating Basics Student Kit and teach yourself all kinds of decorating techniques. I bought the kit several years ago and taught myself cake decorating just by following the guides and never taking an actual class! And that was before YouTube and all the free videos out there to help you!
Hennyway – to make my Santa Hat Truffles:
- 12 White Chocolate Truffles (or you can make my Oreo Truffles, covered in white chocolate)
- 1/4 cup White Candy Melts
- 1/4 cup Red Candy Melts
- 24 Candy eyes
- 12 Red Round candy Decorations
- 12 Hershey Hugs
- 1/2 cup softened Butter
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tbsp Milk
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and add vanilla.
- Mix in the sugar one cup at a time.
- Beat in the milk mixing until fluffy.
- Transfer icing to the corner of large size zipper bag, try to minimaize trapped air and close. Clip a small piece off the corner to pipe.
- Refrigerate to firm.
- Heat Red Candy Chips in small bowl by microwaving for 30 seconds stirring and repeating until melted.
- Insert a toothpick in the bottom of Hershey Hugs.
- Dip in red chocolate and rotate to cover. Allow excess to drip off.
- Stab tootpick into piece of foam or potato to allow to dry.
- Heat White Candy Chips in small bowl by microwaving for 30 seconds stirring and repeating until melted.
- If Truffles are not flat on bottom, dip bottom of truffle in white chocolate and place on wax paper. Allow to set. (if you are using my Oreo Truffles recipe, you can skip this part because your truffle will probably already have a flat “base”)
- Using toothpick, gather up small bit of melted white chocolate and paint on bottom of coated Hershey Hugs and place on top of truffle.
- Using toothpick, gather up small bit of melted white chocolate and paint on back of red “nose” and place on truffle. You may need to hold in place for a moment.
- Repeat this process with each eye. Allow chocolate to set.
- Pipe icing around the edge between the Hershey and the truffle to create the “fur” on the bottom of the hat.
- Pipe a ball of icing on the on the tip of the hat.
- Pipe a beard around the face of the truffle.
I would love to know how your Santa Hat Truffles turned out for you!