The days are heating up which means that we often don't want to heat up the kitchen in order to make lunch, but we still want to have a somewhat more healthy lunch than a PB&J and there are just so many times that you can slap some plain mayo on a tortilla with some lunchmeat without being bored out of your mind!
This Southwest Smoked Turkey Wrap with Chipotle Mayonnaise is just as easy to make as anything else (especially since you can whip up a batch of the chipotle mayo and it will keep in the fridge for a few days!) and it provides some nice variety to otherwise boring summer lunches! The chipotle mayo gives he wrap just the right amount of “zing”. It would even make a great appetizer or finger food for your next party or backyard barbecue because you can easily cut it down to “pinwheels”. Once you have it rolled, simply stick a toothpick about every 1″ of the wrap and then slice it down between the toothpicks!
I try to use corn tortillas over flour tortillas whenever possible, as they are a little better for you. However, corn tortillas ten to “stiffen up” much quicker than flour ones. If you are serving these right away (and you like the taste of corn tortillas), then use the corn. If you are making these in advance (for a party, picnic or school lunch), then you are probably better off sticking to the flour ones. It's really just a matter of personal preference!
Make it even better (and cheaper) in the Spring and Summer by growing your own spinach. You will save so much money over the bagged spinach!
Hennyway, to make this Southwest Smoked Turkey Wrap with Chipotle Mayo, you will need:
For the Chipotle Mayonnaise:
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise (try not to use fat-free mayo – the taste will be much better if you don't)
- 1 tsp Lime Juice
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Chipotle Chile
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
For the Wrap:
- Corn or Flour Fajita-size Tortillas
- Sliced Smoked Turkey
- Colby Pepper Jack Cheese Slices
- Baby Spinach or leafy green of your choice
Making it is easy!
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to blend.
- If using corn tortillas, microwave each tortilla for about 10 seconds to soften (so that it won't break when you roll up your wrap)
- Spread a thin layer of the chipotle mayo on each tortilla.
- Place 1 – 2 slices of turkey on each tortilla.
- Top turkey with a cheese slice and spinach
- Roll tortilla up, secure with a toothpick on each end and slice in half.
Serve and enjoy!
Do you have an easy, go-to summer lunch idea?
You might also want to check out these easy sandwich recipes: