Walmart has once again updated their coupon policy and they have made some really good changes! I suggest that you print it out and keep it with you. Remember that Walmart doesn’t have the best reputation for notifying managers and employees of changes to their coupon policy (or even that they HAVE a coupon policy). Please be patient with your store as they learn the changes.
The new policy states (I am changing the text color to red for what I consider the major changes, with some notes):
Walmart accepts the following types of coupons (see guidelines below):
- Manufacturers’ coupons
- Print-at-home internet coupons
- Must be legible, have “Manufacturer Coupon” printed on them, have a valid remit address for the manufacturer, valid expiration date, and have a scannable bar code.
- Competitors’ coupons that feature a specific item for a specified price
- (Mindi’s Note: For example, a coupon that says: Kelloggs Cornflakes $2.99. This is like price matching from a competitor’s ad. They WILL NOT accept any other store coupons that say, for example: $.50/1 Tide or 50% off Tide.)
- Soft drink container caps
- Checkout coupons
- (also called “Catalinas”) that are printed at our competitors’ registers, have “Manufacturer Coupon” with specific requirements printed on them, a valid remit address for the manufacturer, valid expiration date, and a scannable bar code. (Mindi’s note: WooHoo!)
Walmart does not accept the following coupons:
- Print-at-home Internet coupons that require no purchase
- Competitors’ coupons for dollars/cents or percentage off, buy one get one free, and double- or triple-value coupons
The following are guidelines and limitations:
- Only one coupon per item is permitted.
- Coupons must have an expiration date and be redeemed prior to expiration.
- Coupons may exceed the price of the item. Change may be given or applied toward the cost of the basket purchase. (Mindi’s note: this means that the cashier DOESN’T have to adjust the value of your coupon down…you can apply overage to other purchases!)
- Walmart only accepts coupons for merchandise that we sell.
- Coupons must be presented at the time of purchase.
- We accept the following with Customer Service Supervisor/Management approval:
- 40 or more coupons
- Any coupon over $20
- $50 or more in coupons in one transaction
Thanks Consumer Queen!