This white bean chicken chili cooks up in your slow cooker and is so delicious! It’s the perfect change from your regular chili or soups!
When the colder weather hits, there are few things that I like better than a nice bowl of soup or chili. My husband’s favorite is my crockpot chicken tortilla soup, and my children love my cheeseburger soup recipe, but I thought it was time to try something different!
I made this white bean chicken chili during our last snow storm and really, it came about because I went to my pantry and noticed that I had several cans of white beans that were getting close to their expiration date and I knew that I had a bunch of boneless skinless chicken breasts in the freezer.
Actually – I had everything I needed to make it already in my house and chances are you do as well! This recipe is enough to fill my 6 qt crockpot, so it will make quite a bit of white bean chicken chili!
Most recipes that you see for white chicken chili involve using a canned soup for the base as well as a packet of taco seasoning. While those recipes work fine for many people, we are always trying to reduce the number of processed foods that we have/use in the house.
I let this cook in the crockpot for a little bit without the lid for a little bit towards the end. This allowed a bit of the moisture to evaporate to the point where I could almost eat most of it using a tortilla chip as a spoon! It’s really up to you!
For toppings, I like just a dollop of sour cream and some freshly-minced cilantro, but my husband found a bag of Fritos in our snack bin and crumbled those over it!
- 1½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 3 - 4 large breasts)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4.5 oz can of green chiles
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bag (16 oz) frozen corn
- 2 15.5 oz cans white beans, drained and rinsed (I used 1 can of Cannelini and 1 can of Navy beans)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Bullion Chicken Base (or 1 boullion cube)
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ cup sour cream
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of your slow cooker
- Add chili powder, onion powder, cumin, garlic powder and cayenne
- Top with beans, corn, chiles and finally, the chicken stock
- Cook on low for 5 - 7 hours
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred the chicken using 2 forks. Return the chicken to your slow cooker.
- In a non-stick skillet, melt the butter. Sprinkle the flour over the butter and whisk to completely blend. Allow the butter/flour mixture to cook until is starts to brown. Slowly whisk in the milk and boullion, making sure all lumps are gone.
- Allow this mixture to cook for about 5 minutes or until it starts to thicken.
- Add the butter/flour/milk mixture to the crockpot and stir to combine
- Add the sour cream.
- Cook for another hour on low and serve!