This easy homemade biscuits recipe will only take you 30 minutes from start to finish! Perfect for breakfast any day of the week of with dinner!
There are very few things and wonderful as fresh-made biscuits, straight from the oven. They are one of the original "comfort foods" and they are so easy to make, but all too often we reach for the frozen ones or the refrigerated ones in the can. I know that I have been guilty of doing it when I make
This biscuit recipe is a traditional one that has stood the "test of time". Making them isn't complicated. In the "old days", cutting the butter in to the flour was a pain in the butt process. I remember growing up and having to use 2 knives to cut the butter in. Then my mom "splurged" and bought a pastry cutter. These days, she and I both use a food processor to cut in the butter and it is a simple and quick process. If you have a high-powered blender (like a Blendtec or a Vitamix), you can use that as well!
You are going to want to work quickly and not overwork the dough once you have added the liquids - overworking the dough can make them not turn as moist and tender as you want! Don't skip the step of using parchment paper on your baking sheet - you won't have any problem with them sticking!
These homemade biscuits only take 30 minutes from start to finish. Before you reach for a can of biscuits, make sure to try making them from scratch! The next time you are thinking about making biscuits and sausage gravy or even my fabulous Crockpot Cinnamon Monkey Bread, consider making your biscuits for the recipe from scratch!
Scroll down for the complete directions!
Perfectly Easy Homemade Biscuits Recipe
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup corn starch plus more for rolling
- 4 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup salted butter cold, cut in to 4 or 5 pieces
- ½ cup whole fat Greek style plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
IF USING A FOOD PROCESSOR
- In food processor, combine flour, corn starch, baking powder, and salt. Pulse to combine.
- Add in the cold butter in 4 – 5 chunks. Pulse about 10 seconds until the flour looks crumbly and the butter is evenly distributed in small lumps throughout the flour mixture.
- Add yogurt, cream, milk, and egg to food processor. Pulse until dough ball forms and gathers along the side of the bowl.
IF MIXING BY HAND
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, corn starch, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add in the cold butter in 4 – 5 chunks. Use a fork to blend the butter into the flour until the mixture looks crumbly and the butter is evenly distributed in small lumps throughout the flour mixture. This should take a few minutes to make sure there are no large clumps remaining.
- In a separate small bowl, mix the yogurt, cream, milk, and egg. Stir to combine.
- Stir the wet mixture into the flour mixture until dough ball forms and gathers along the side of the bowl. If it’s a little wet and doesn’t hold a ball shape you can add about a tablespoon of flour and stir to see if it holds together better. If the mixture is too dry and doesn’t come together, you can add a teaspoon of milk and stir again.
ONCE DOUGH IS MIXED
- Remove from bowl onto rolling surface that is lightly covered with corn starch. Knead the dough a few times turning it over onto itself and turning about 6 – 10 times.
- Use rolling pin to roll out to 9 X 12 rectangle. It will be about ¾ inch thick.
- Cut into 15 – 18 rectangles and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake on middle rack at 450 degrees for 8 – 12 minutes until biscuits are lightly browned.
Kim @ The Baking ChocolaTess
They look really delicious! I love them warm with butter and jelly. 🙂
Amy @ Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Mmm, love biscuits! Thanks for linking up with Best of the Weekend!