FYI – the “Real Food On A Budget” posts will go up Wednesday morning (or late Tuesday night) from now on and will include a Linky for you to link up to your posts. There may be additional posts throughout the week as the mood strikes me, but for now, you can count on Wednesdays at a bare minimum!
So this whole “switching to Real Food” is a process. I would love to tell you that we woke up one morning and started eating homemade granola with kefir instead of <insert name of sugary cereal here>, but that would just be too easy. I didn’t come to the realization that we needed to make this change overnight and the changes in our house aren’t going to happen overnight.
So let’s take this one meal at a time, shall we?
First – let’s look at the foods that are being eliminated for breakfast (with the occasional “special treat” because I don’t want my children to slit my throat while I sleep)
- Packaged cereals that contain High Fructose Corn Syrup or GMO (more on GMO later)
- Prepackaged oatmeal with brown sugar
- Toast and jelly (meaning commercial white bread toast and “jelly jelly”..the kind that is mainly sugar with a trace of fruit)
- Premade “convenience breakfast foods” (waffles, pancakes, french toast sticks, etc)
- Donuts (actually not a problem in our house, but I thought I would include it)
And here are the things that we WILL be having on our breakfast menu:
- Yogurt with fruit and honey or homemade granola
- Orange juice
- Whole Wheat or Banana pancakes
- Breakfast casserole (for weekends)
- Oatmeal with honey or pure maple syrup
- Eggs fried in butter or coconut oil, toast (made with whole wheat sandwich bread) or homemade English Muffins with butter and/or honey or peanut butter (no-sugar added peanut butter)
- Baked oatmeal
As you can see, by making a pledge to eat healthier, we are opening up many more options for breakfast than we had before. Sure, the extra work of baking is a consideration, but the payoff (in terms of having a healthier family) is worth it!
What are your Real Food morning solutions for breakfast? Post them in the comments! If you are a blogger, be sure to use the Simply Linked so that we can all enjoy your posts!