Today's recipe comes to you courtesy of Saving For Someday!
Photo Credit: FineCooking.com
Beef Stroganoff (Serves 6)
1 1/2 lb beef tenderloin or sirloin, cut into small cubes & seasoned with salt/pepper
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 pound mushrooms, thinly sliced or 2 small can sliced mushrooms, drained
1 1/2 cup beef broth or consomme
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/4 cup sour cream (regular or light)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pkg (1 lb) egg noodles, cooked to package instructions
1. In skillet, heat olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter.
2. Working in small batches, cook beef over high heat and sear until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes depending on size. When done, remove beef from pan and set aside to rest.
3. In same pan on medium heat, add 2 tablespoons butter and chopped onion and saute until translucent.
4. Add (fresh) mushrooms when onions are nearly done. (If using canned mushrooms, don't add until later.) Saute mushrooms 3-4 minutes or until tender.
5. Whisk in beef broth and Dijon mustard. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
6. Whisk in sour cream and allow sauce to thicken 2-3 minutes.
7. Remove from heat, add beef in to the sauce (if using canned mushrooms, add now), stir and season with salt/pepper to taste.
8. Serve over egg noodles.
Options: If you like pickles, chopped cornichons (or small dill pickles) can be mixed in to the sauce (aprox. 1/4 cup)