Basic Cell Phone Etiquette
The invention of the cell phone in the last century is probably one of the most revered inventions. It is affordable, and offers the ability to connect with those that are important to you, whether you are in the office, on the road, in the car, or out at a friend’s place.
However, in spite of its convenience, there are problems with it use. It has gotten out of control, simply because of the user’s lack of respect for others.
These tips will teach you basic cell phone etiquette, so you can have the convenience of the cell phone, and be mannerly about it.
- Entertainment Venues – When you are in an entertainment venue such as a movie theater or play, make sure that you turn off the ringer on your phone. You can set it to vibrate and if you should receive a call, exit the screening room and step out into the lobby to take the call.
- Restaurants – When you are in a restaurant, turn off the phone. Put it on vibrate instead. If you should happen to receive a call, answer it in a low voice and tell them that you are eating and you will call them back later.
- Public Transportation – Turn it on vibrate or turn it off completely. Only take emergency calls and remember that it is rude to talk on your cell phone in public.
- Places of Worship – It is important that people are permitted to worship in peace, without even the sound of your phone vibrating (yeas – we can hear it). Leave your cell phone at home or in the car. If whatever phone call you are expecting is so important that you can't turn off your phone at church, then just stay home from church.
- At the store – Get off your phone before you start to check out your transaction. The cashier in front of you is a person and deserves your attention and respect. You are not more important than them!
- Flying – Before the plane takes off it is important that your cell phone is turned off. Electronic gadgets may cause some interference with navigational equipment and therefore, avoided at all cost.
These tips will teach you the basic rules of cell phone etiquette. Although this gadget is convenient, try to think of the days of long ago when there was no such thing. Use your discretion when using the cell phone, in order to please those that are around you.