A homemade taco seasoning mix give these lettuce wrap tacos plenty of flavor (and if you children want to use regular taco shells – let them!)
My boys and I absolutely LOVE tacos. My husband? Not so much. We would have a Taco Tuesday every week if he wouldn't complain (and he hardly EVER complains, so if he says “tacos AGAIN?”, that means that he really isn't happy). Of course, I am not factoring my daughters opinion in to our ability to have Taco Tuesdays because she doesn't eat ANYTHING.
My go-to recipe for tacos is my crockpot chicken taco recipe, but everyone else in my house really does prefer beef. I have a problem with high-fat foods – I won't give you the gory details, but when I eat beef, I need to make sure that everything else in my meal with have little to no fat in it or else I will be miserable for hours!
This recipe is really just a basic taco seasoning recipe, except instead of using tortillas as my “taco meat delivery system”, I am using lettuce leaves. The rest of my family will use flour tortillas for these, but I prefer the lightened up version by using romaine leaves. I must not be alone in my preference, because the last time I was shopping at Wegmans, they now sell packs of lettuce leaves that are all the same size (unlike ripping a head on Romaine apart and the leaves get smaller and smaller as you get to the center)
Of course, you can use the taco seasoning packets that you can buy in the supermarket, but I hope that you will give this homemade taco seasoning recipe a try. Double, triple, quadruple (or more) the recipe for the taco seasoning and store it in an airtight container and you will always have homemade seasoning on hand and ready to go!
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ⅛ tsp Garlic Powder
- ⅛ tsp Onion Powder
- ¼ tsp Brown Sugar
- Romaine Hearts
- 1 lb Lean Ground Beef or Ground Turkey
- 2 tbsp Taco Seasoning
- ⅓ cup Water
- 8 oz Shredded Cheese
- 1 diced Tomato
- additional Taco Toppings as desired (Lettuce, onion, peppers, etc)
- Mix together taco seasoning ingredients. Set asdie
- Brown meat and drain excess grease.
- Add water and taco seasoning (either recipe above or ready-made) and heat on medium until liquid reduces, stirring occasionally.
- Separate romaine leaves trimming any excess stalks on end.
- Place about ¼ cup of taco meat on each leaf.
- Top with cheese and tomatoes.
- Add any additional toppings you desire and serve immediately.