Welcome to the very first installment of "52 Weeks to a Better You!" In this series, we will explore ways that you can simplify your life, find more time in your day, get your house in order and be more healthy and happy!
Of course, this series is kicking off on January 1st and the natural assumption is that this is just another "New Year's Resolution Post". In a way, that is true. But it also isn't.
True change comes not from making a bunch of resolutions on a certain day, but by making small changes that stick, one at a time. I honestly believe that trying to overhaul your life and habits all at once is doing nothing but setting yourself up for failure. The small changes may seem like too little, but over time they add up and become major changes!
So what are we tackling this week?
Going to bed at a reasonable hour, at least 5 nights per week!
I have to admit, getting to sleep at a reasonable hour is the biggest problem that I have in my life. I've given you tips on how to get a good night's sleep before, but never followed through on a consistent basis myself.
I wait until the kids go to sleep and then start to write posts for this site and then something happens and I end up in and endless YouTube/Wikipedia loop and before I know it, I have drank almost an entire bottle of wine (more on that in a future week) and it is 3:00am. The next thing you know, my kids are shaking me awake because they need to get off to school. I drag myself out of bed, get them out of the house and go back to bed, often until 10:00am!
That is no way to live.
The fact is, not getting enough sleep affects you in every way - physically, mentally, and even psychologically. I would be willing to wager that anyone who looks at me would think "Man - she needs some sleep!"
If you want to improve your life, you have to be well-rested - it's as simple as that. It will give your body and mind what it needs to go forward. That is why we are starting with something so simple as going to bed earlier.
And believe me - it is harder to do on a consistent basis than it sounds!
So here is the goal for the week: Set a realistic sleep schedule and do everything that you can to stick to it!
For me, this means going to bed by midnight each night and waking up by about 6:15am.
I know that this sounds like it is STILL not enough sleep, but believe me when I say that, for me, this is a HUGE increase in the amount of sleep I am getting.
What is your sleep goal for the week?
Make sure to check back every Thursday for the next installment of "52 Weeks to a Better You!"
This post was part of a 41-blogger collaboration to help you kick off 2015 as your best year EVER! Be sure to check out all these other great bloggers and their tips for simpligying your life, getting healthier, controlling your finances and improving your life!
- How to Set and Keep Goals to Make This the Best Year Ever | Jen @ Girl in Garage
- 15 Ways to Stay Organised at Work During 2015 | Elizabeth Harrin @ A Girl's Guide to Project Management
- How Personal Style Will Help You Achieve Goals Faster in 2015 | Cherene Francis @ Aura Image Consulting
- Completing Those Unfinished Projects in the NEW YEAR | Angela Lerew @ Unexpected Elegance
- 42 Ways to Practice Perfectly & Become an Expert at Almost Anything | Amy Garro @ 13 Spools
- Easy Exercises to do on a Cruise Ship | Amanda Woods @ Adventures All Around
- 10 Simple Ways to Eat Healthier This Year | Dawn @ Reveal Natural Health
- 31 Days to a More Fabulous You | Julie Bonner @ Mom Fabulous
- How to Make This the Best Gardening Year Ever | Kendra Spencer @ Sonoma Garden
- 5 Ways to Make this Your Best Monarch Season...Ever! | Tony Gomez @ Monarch Butterfly Garden
- 12 Scriptures for Goals and Guidance | Julie @ Loving Christ Ministries
- How to Build a Starter Emergency Fund in 30 Days or Less | Jackie Beck @ The Debt Myth
- Family Verse of the Week Challenge for 2015 | Jamie Yonash @ Life is Sweeter By Design
- Hot Work at Home Jobs for 2015 | Holly Hanna @ The Work at Home Woman
- A Year of Intention | Hilary Bernstein @ Accidentally Green
- 2015: Our Best Year Yet | Ashley @ Leaving the Rut
- Create a Better Life Story | Bronwen Warner @ Tummy Time and Beyond
- Get Ready to Get MDfit | Tom and Anne @ Eat & Be Fit
- 5 Free Ways to Learn Something New This Year | Sarah Fuller @ Earning and Saving with Sarah Fuller
- Healthy Leek Soup | Mirlandra @ Mirlandra's Kitchen
- Health Resolutions: Baby Steps to a New You | Ellen Christian @ Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- 5 Ways Busy Moms Can Get Motivated to Work Out | Diane Nassy @ philZENdia
- Be Prepared for the New Year | Jennifer Dunham Starr @ The Memory Journalists
- 3 Steps to a Healthier Life in 2015 | Joe Goodwill @Average Joe Cyclist
- New Year's Resolution: Cook More Often! | Kim Pawell @ Something New for Dinner
- I Should What? 28 Ways to be Happier | Karen Young @ Hey Sigmund
- 9 Ways to Get Healthier In The New Year | Amy Maus @ Home and Farm Sense
- In 2015 Resolve to Take Control of Your Money | Kristia @ Family Balance Sheet
- Eucharisteo: A Year of Thanksgiving | Lani Padilla @ Simply Fresh Vintage
- No More Tears at IEP Meetings: Make This Your Best Year Ever! | Lisa Lightner @ A Day In Our Shoes
- Learn to Save Money on Groceries | Melissa Buckles @ Everyday Savvy
- How to Achieve Your New Year’s Resolution - For Real This Time! | Michelle @ Dishes and Dust Bunnies
- 52 Weeks to a Better You: Week 1 - Go to Bed Early | Mindi Cherry @ Moms Need to Know
- Food Street: How a Community Has Joined Forces to Start a Street Farm | Sam Walker @ Bubble 'N Squeak
- Organizing Coupons with the Binder Method | Sara Steigerwald @ Sisters Shopping on a Shoe String
- How to Make This Year the Happiest Yet | Shambray @ Shambray.com
- A New Year, A New You | Sharon Rowe @ How to Get Organized at Home
- 5 Ways to Get Paid for Losing Weight This Year | Anna @ Real Ways to Earn Money at Home
- Tips for Successful Whole30 | Deanna Michaels @ From This Kitchen Table
- 75 Ways to Be Healthier in 2015 | Maryea Flaherty @ Happy Healthy Mama
- How to Make 2015 the Best Year Ever! | Jennifer @ My Boys & Their Toys
Sam at Bubble 'n Squeak
I never thought to make sleep a goal. I am a terrible sleeper. Perhaps I should focus on this as well. Good luck with your 52 weeks and Happy New Year!
After running myself down to the point that I caused myself some major health problems back in 2012, I've been working on making sure to sleep more. I still strugge with it, because I'm both an insomniac and a night owl by nature (and have a kiddo in school who is sometimes difficult to get out of bed in the morning!). But THANK YOU for this -- for making me get back to focusing on making sure I get a good night's sleep more often than not! I look forward to what the coming weeks are because I'm determined that 2015 will go down as a "Good Year" in the books!