I love a good Waldorf Salad, but I usually only see them at summer picnics. Originally invented as an after-dinner palette cleanser by a chef at the Waldorf Astoria, this salad has seen several additions and variations. The original recipe calls for a mayonnaise base for the dressing, but some people prefer to make it with plain or even vanilla yogurt. I prefer the mayonnaise base, but try it your Waldorf Salad recipe both ways to find your favorite!
Waldorf Salad Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 1/3 cup raisins of craisins
- 2 Gala apples, cored and chopped
- 4 Tbsp mayonnaise or plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Dash Pepper
- Romaine Lettuce Leaves
- In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise (or yogurt), lemon juice, salt & pepper.
- Add the apple, celery, grapes, raisins/craisins and walnuts and toss to coat.
- Serve on top of a bed of fresh lettuce.