Popcorn balls are always a big hit at Halloween, but you don't often see chocolate covered popcorn balls for Christmas. Well - let's take care of that, shall we? These will be a great addition to any cookie tray, or a fun treat to send in to school with your kids (if your school still allows sweets to be sent in - mine doesn't).
This is easy enough that your children can also help make them once the popcorn has been coated with the sugar/water/corn syrup mixture. Just please do NOT allow them to help pour the hot sugar (and be careful yourself). Sugar at that high of a temperature can cause serious burns!
Now, I prefer air-popped popcorn or popcorn kernels popped in coconut oil on top of the stove. But I know that I am in the minority with that, so I giving you the instructions based on using microwave popcorn. If you have an air popper or want to make popcorn on the stovetop, I reaally suggest you use that instead!
Anyway - let's get to making Chocolate Covered Popcorn Balls For Christmas!
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1¼ cups Water
- ½ cup Corn Syrup
- 1 tsp White Vinegar
- 2 bags Microwaved Popcorn
- 2 bags Dark Cocoa Candy Melting Chips
- 1/4 cup Red Candy Melting Chips
- 1/4 cup Green Candy Melting Chips
- 12 colored pop sticks (also available at your local craft store)
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, water, corn syrup and vinegar. Cook over high heat until mixture reaches 250 degrees (hard ball stage) on a candy thermometer.
- Spread popped corn on a baking sheet.
- Pour mixture over popcorn, tossing to coat.
- When mixture is cool enough to handle, press popcorn into 2 to 3 inch balls with lightly greased hands.
- Insert stick into each ball.
- Cool on waxed paper.
- Heat Dark Candy Chips in medium Bowl by microwaving for 30 seconds stirring and repeating until melted. Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes.
- Dip balls in melted dark candy and roll to coat completely.
- Place back on wax paper.
- Immediately place in refrigerator for 10 minutes to set chocolate coating.
- Heat Red Candy Chips in small bowl by microwaving for 30 seconds stirring and repeating until melted.
- Transfer Red chocolate to small plastic bag and clip very tiny piece of corner to use for piping.
- Pipe Red candy in loops originating from stem around ball.
- Repeat the process with the Green Candy Chips.
- Immediately place in refrigerator for 10 minutes to set the chocolate.