My children would live on nothing but Oreos if I let them. Whenever I buy them, I have to hide them and dole them out in groups of 3, or else they would eat the whole package in a day! But I do like giving in sometimes and letting them go nuts with them. The question is: "How can you make Oreos better?". By coating them in chocolate and sprinkles of course! When I told my children that we were going to make chocolate covered Oreos, they literally jumped all over me with kisses and proclamations that I am the Best.Mom.Ever!
Totally worth it.
Making chocolate covered oreos is so easy, as long as you know "the rules"
- Don't take shortcuts and neglect to stir the chocolate while it is melting or it will seize up on you
- Once your chocolate is melted, you have to work quickly. You only have a few minutes before the chocolate starts to cool and will not give you the smooth coating that makes these look pretty!
- Use Double-Stuffed Oreos. Just because....
Ok - so let's get to making them! You will need:
- 15 Double Stuffed Oreos
- 1 bag Dark Chocolate Candy Melts
- 1/4 bag orange candy melts
- Halloween sprinkles, sugars, decorations
- Empty Dark Chocolate Candy Melts in to a glass bowl and microwave for about 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until chocolate is melted
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Working quickly, drop Oreos one at a time in to chocolate. Turn to coat, using a spoon to help you get them get completely covered.
- Using 2 spoons to act as "tongs" carefully lift Oreo and let the excess chocolate drip off. Place Oreo on parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Immediately decorate with colored sugars, sprinkles, etc.
- To pipe another color on top, place about 1/3 cup candy melts in a resealable sandwich bag. Seal and microwave 30 seconds. Remove the bag and massage it to mix. Microwave another 30 seconds if needed to completely melt the chocolate. Cut a TINY snip off one of the corners and drizzle colored chocolate over Oreos!
And that is it! With the wide availability of colored chocolates and decorations all year long, make these for every holiday!