I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!
If your children are like mine, they want ice cream all the time and even more in the summer. While you can find some great deals on ice cream treats in the summer, it still doesn't make up for the fact that most of them are just a combination of high-fructose corn syrup and water, along with some artificial flavorings!
And so, like my homemade watermelon sorbet recipe and my homemade Slurpee recipe (and even my homemade fruit roll-up recipe), this orange creamsicle pop recipe is a nice way to make your children happy and give them the treats that they crave, while still trying to "keep the ingredients real".
If you already have popsicle molds at home, you are all set, but you might also want to try this Zoku Quick Pop Maker. It is a fun way to make popsicles with the kids and it really does work! There is also a larger version of the pop maker!
This does require a few more steps than regular popsicles because you want to keep an eye on the "orange juice stage" so that the entire pop doesn't freeze. You are just looking for the outside to freeze, then you pour out the excess and then fill in the pop with the "cream part of the creamsicle". Once you have done that, you can go about your day until the creamsicles are completely set.
This recipe will make about 3 pops, so adjust the quantity up if you want to make these in large batches! To make these Homemade Orange Creamsicle pops, you will need:
- 1/2 cup Orange Juice
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Directions: If you are using a Zoku Quick Pop Maker:
- Mix together cream, sugar and vanilla.
- Pour Orange juice in maker up to fill line.
- Place stick in position.
- Wait 3 1/2 minutes.
- Use suction tool to remove unfrozen juice from center of maker or carefully pour off unfrozen juice.
- Fill this now empty space with cream mixture.
- Wait 5 minutes or until cream in set (frozen).
- Use tool to remove pop and place in freezer.
Directions: If you are not using a Zoku:
- Mix together cream, sugar, vanilla and orange juice.
- Pour mixture in popsicle molds or small paper cups.
- Place in freezer for 10-15 minutes or until mixture begins to firm.
- Insert sticks and return to freezer for several hours.
- Use hot water to release from molds.
Serve and enjoy!