It is freezing outside today and nothing warms you like soup. This soup is delicious and hearty. Serve it with a slice of good crusty bread and it becomes a meal all on its own!
This is also a great way to use up any leftover chicken and it freezes very well!
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups peeled & diced Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 bag (12 oz) frozen corn
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar-Jack cheese (or you can use plain Cheddar)
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- In a 4-qt stockpot, heat the olive oil. Add carrots, celery and onion and cook until they begin to soften - about 2-3 minutes
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add the potatoes, salt and pepper. Cover pot and simmer for about 12-15 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- While the broth is simmering, melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add flour and wisk until smooth. Slowly stir in the milk. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and cook and stir for about 2 minutes or until the mixture has thickened.
- Add the butter/flour/milk mixture, chicken, corn and cheese to the chicken broth. Cook and stir until heated through.