This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Klement’s Sausage. All opinions are 100% mine.
Whether you need a meal for the grill, campfire or oven, this foil packet Italian Sausage with Potatoes & Veggies is packed with flavor and so easy to make!
Growing up, my parents loved to take us camping, and “foil packet dinners” were always a “thing” with us. They are easy to make, can be thrown right on the grill or a rack over a campfire, and cleanup is a breeze!
As I got older and started my own family, I no longer was “big” on camping, but my daughter loves to do it and will go on camping trips with her friends and their family. After her last trip, she told me that they had cooked dinner one night using the “foil packet” method and it brought back some nice memories.
So when Klement’s Sausage asked me create a recipe using one of their sausages as part of their #WhatsCookingWednesday campaign, I decided to pull out the foil and make a recipe that I had loved as a child!
Klement's sent me 2 kinds of sausage to try and, because I had never tried their products before, I wanted to do a little research. Their sausages are made in small batches, using premium cuts of beef & pork. They are gluten-free and they never use MSG. They naturally smoke their products in real smokehouses.
But what really matters is the taste, right?
We enjoyed their Cheddar Summer Sausage, with just some crackers and mustard (although my one son put barbecue sauce on it because he puts it on EVERYTHING) and everyone loved it. There was a generous amount of cheese inside the sausage and the taste was amazing!
But for the Italian Sausage? I decided to get a little more creative.
My mom used to just make a combo of Polish sausage, green beans and potatoes, but I was working with Italian Sausage and a vegetable garden that is out of control. I went outside and picked a zucchini, some green beans and the last of my orange peppers (sniff). I added in some baby red potatoes, an onion and some oil & spices and my Foil Packet Italian Sausage with Potatoes & Veggies was born!
By the way – I made up five foil packets for our family and poured the rest of the mixture in a baking dish and cooked it that way. The foil packets took much less time for the potatoes to be fully cooked and created it's own sauce. The mixture in the baking dish was just as flavorful.
Tip: I used Italian Seasoning for 3 of the 5 packets, but I also had a bottle of Cuban Seasoning that I had been wanting to try. I used the Cuban Seasoning for 2 of the packets and I really think I liked the Cuban Seasoning better, but it definitely had more of a “kick” to it. Experiment with your favorite seasonings!
- 14 oz fully-cooked Italian Sausage (like Klement's Sausage), cut in to coins
- 1 medium zucchini, cut in to bite-size pieces
- 1 large pepper, cut in to bite-size pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 24 oz baby potatoes (I used baby red), cut in to bite-size pieces
- a few handfuls fresh green beans, trimmed
- ⅓ to ½ cup olive oil
- 3 to 4 tablespoons Italian Seasoning
- salt & pepper to taste
- OPTIONAL: fresh parsley for topping
- Add olive oil and spices to a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Place all remaining ingredients (except parsley) in the bowl and stir until all the meat and vegetables are coated (add more oil & spices if you need to, but be careful not to add too much oil or else it will "boil" the meat & veggies in the foil packets)
- Place 2 12" squares of aluminum foil on top of each other and place ⅙ of the mixture in the center of the foil.
- Bring 2 opposite sides of the foil up and fold over, creating a seal. Fold the other 2 sides up to the top
- Bake at 400F for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender
- Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender
- Use a big enough baking dish (or 2) that you have a shallow layer. Cover with foil and bake at 400F for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are tender