I am always on the hunt for new crockpot recipes, especially for beef. I love these freezer to crockpot meals that I have for beef, but wanted to create something a little nicer for Sunday Dinner. I don't have the greatest record of success with roasts in the oven but I really love a good beef roast over egg noodles or potatoes.
I made this recipe the other day and it just turned out fabulous. Even my neighbor and his boys (who popped in the house to watch the last half of the Eagles game with us and ended up staying for dinner) went nuts for it. The only downside to them loving it? I was hoping to have leftovers for lunch the next day and between my family and his, an entire 4-pound roast was GONE. On the bright side, I guess that means that this is a good recipe!
To make it you will need:
- Boneless Chuck Roast (about 3 lbs)
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 28-oz can Italian Style diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup prepared marinara sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- cooked egg noodles or mashed potatoes for serving
Ok - let's get started:
1. Heat vegetable oil in a large pan on medium-high until very hot. Season roast with salt & pepper. Add roast to pan, turning to brown on all sides (about 3 minutes per side)
2. Remove roast and place in a 6-qt crockpot. Pour out or use a paper towel to remove all but about 2 Tbsp of the meat drippings
3. Add the carrots, peppers, onions and garlic to the pan and saute for about 4 minutes, until the carrots start to soften.
4. Add the wine to the pan and use a spatula to scrape the meat bits from the bottom of the pan.
5. Allow vegetables and wine to simmer a few minutes, until the wine is reduced by about 1/4. Add the beef stock and heat mixture until simmering
6. Pour mixture over roast in the crockpot. Add rosemary, bay leaves, tomatoes and tomato sauce
7. Cook for 4-5 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low
8. Transfer roast to serving platter and pour some of the sauce created in the crockpot over the roast.
9. Serve over egg noodles or mashed potatoes.
I hope that you like this recipe - it is a new family favorite for us!
Looking for more crockpot recipes? Here are a few more of my favorites: