Mexican night makes a regular appearance in my household, and it's not hard to see why. With delicious recipes like my Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe, my Crock Pot Chicken Tacos recipe and my Freezer to Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas recipe, I could easily eat yummy Mexican food all week long without ever getting tired of it. And while I haven't grown tired of any of these recipes yet, I'm still always looking for new recipes to add to the rotation. This Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas recipe is the perfect addition.
I've made other chicken enchiladas recipes before, and I always end up really frustrated. I'm not a huge fan of corn tortillas, but flour tortillas always seem to get soggy for me. This Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas recipe is different though. Instead of wrapping the tortillas around the individual enchiladas, you layer the tortillas on top and bottom. Not only does this use less tortillas, but it also keeps the enchiladas from getting soggy as well--which I love! Plus, it's full of all sorts of yummy and filling ingredients too.
Even if you have an enchiladas recipe you already use, you should definitely give this version a try. It's a little unique and a lot delicious! Your family will be begging you to make it again and again. I know mine does!
If your family is more adventurous than mine, you can also add a can of rinsed and drained black beans to the mixture before cooking it. I am the only one in my family who likes black beans so what I usually do is divide out enough for my portion and mix in some black beans and cook it in a separate dish!
Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken you can buy rotisserie chicken or I often use the leftovers from my Roast Chicken Chicken
- 1 can 28 ounces green enchilada sauce
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ½ cup 4 oz cream cheese
- 9 - 10 corn or flour tortillas taco size, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 16 ounces shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar-Jack cheese if you like it a little spicier, buy the Mexican blend or Taco blend cheeses that have seasonings in them
- Pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a 9"x13" baking pan with non-stick spray.
- Spray a large non-stick skillet with nonstick spray. Heat the chicken, sour cream and cream cheese just until the cream cheese is melted and every thing is mixed.
- Removed from heat and stir in black beans (if you are using them).
- Place half of the mixture in the prepared baking dish.
- Top with half of the tortillas and then half of the cheese.
- Repeat with remaining chicken mixture, tortillas and cheese
- Cover with foil and bake at 375 for about 30 minutes
- Uncover and bake for another 10 - 15 minutes or until bubbly and the cheese on top is slightly browned.