My whole family loves fried chicken, but what I don't like is how my house stinks for about 2 days after I make it! My entire family loves fried foods but there needs to be a balance between their love of unhealthy foods and my desire to give them somewhat wholesome foods that they will like! Enter the "Oven Baked Chicken"! This is a great way to give your family the crunch that they desire without all the fat & calories!
Even better, you don't have to babysit it while it is cooking. Like my oven baked omelet recipe, you just assemble everything, stick it in the oven and then get some other stuff done in the house (or just veg on the sofa!)
I have to tell you - the key here is to use panko bread crumbs. "Regular" bread crumbs are fine for frying, but if you want your oven baked chicken to be fabulous, you need to spring for the panko bread crumbs! Additionally, don't skimp on the vegetable oil spray. You are already saving so many fat & calories by not deep-frying these, but they DO need some oil on them if you want them to be crispy!
Ok - let's get cooking! You will need:
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken, each breast cut in to thirds
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 3 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- vegetable spray
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and generously spray with vegetable oil spray.
- Set up your dredging stations. Combine flour, salt & pepper in one shallow dish. In another shallow dish, combine eggs, dijon mustard and garlic powder. Whisk to combine. In a third shallow dish, combine panko bread crumbs, cayenne pepper and paprika.
- To bread the chicken, place the chicken in the flour mixture and coat.
- Shake the excess flour off of the chicken and dip them in the egg mixture. Turn the chicken a few times in the egg mixture to ensure that all "dry spots" are coated with the egg mixture
- Place the egg-coated chicken in the panko bread crumbs mixture and turn to coat. You may need to use a spoon or your hands to press the crumbs in to the chicken and get them completely coated.
- Place breaded chicken on the foil-lined cookie sheet.
- Once all the chicken has been breaded, spray the tops of the chicken with vegetable spray.
- Place the tray in the preheated 425 oven and bake for about 15-17 minutes or until chicken is done and nicely browned.
Do you have a favorite recipe for oven baked chicken? Please share it in the comments!