This Sloppy Joe recipe is so easy to make and one of my favorite "comfort foods". Perfect for Game Day, dinner or parties!
I don't know why, but there is something about cold weather that makes me want to dust off my sloppy joe recipe. The smells of it cooking remind me of being a kid because my mom used to make sloppy joes at least 2-3 times per month.
Growing up, we really only ever served sloppy joes on plain hamburger buns (although we would often add potato chips to the sandwich - you should really try it). I don't know if potato and Hawaiian rolls really weren't available way back then or if my mom just only bought "regular" buns, but these days, I will only use potato or Hawaiian rolls.
Sliders are popular right now (have you tried my Hawaiian Ham and Cheese sliders yet? Or even my breakfast Denver Omelette Breakfast Sliders recipe?) and you can easily find the mini buns at most grocery stores. By serving them on smaller rolls, you can control the portion a bit more or turn this sloppy joe recipe in to a great food for parties. If you aren't going to serve them immediately, you might want to transfer the filling to a crockpot to keep it warm and serve the rolls on the side. Otherwise, the buns will get soggy.
Ok - let's get cooking. To make them, you will need:
- 1 1/2 lb Ground Beef
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1/4 lb sweet peppers diced
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 1/4 cup water
- 12 Hawaiian Rolls
- Chop onions and peppers. Set aside
- Brown ground beef. Drain beef and make sure that most of the grease is out of the skillet. Return to skillet.
- Add onions and garlic to the skillet and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat
- Add peppers, ketchup, mustard and water and cook for another 15 minutes until most of the liquid is reduced and sauce is thick.
- Preheat oven to 300 F
- Split rolls in half and place on a cookie sheet and in the oven for a few minutes to toast lightly.
- Serve Sloppy Joes on toasted rolls.
Do you have a favorite sloppy joe recipe or a recipe that just takes you right back to being a kid?
Looking for some more great sandwich recipes? Try these:
- Copycat Chick Fil A Chicken Sandwich Recipe
- The Best Chili Recipe for Chili Cheese Dogs
- Crockpot French Dip Recipe
- Southwest Smoked Turkey Wrap With Chipotle Mayonnaise
- Crockpot Cheesesteak Recipe