Apple Cider Donuts Recipe
One thing that I love about Fall is visiting the apple orchard or the pumpkin patch with my children. They are starting to think that they are too old for it these days, but we have always loved going on a hayride, the corn mazes and even to the pumpkin patch to pick our own pumpkins.
Every time we go, we always end our trip the same way….with a steaming cup of hot apple cider or hot chocolate and some apple cider donuts. It’s usually fairly chilly when we make this family outing, so this is the perfect way to warm up before getting in the car and heading home.
I know that for many people, an apple cider donut has more of a cake texture as opposed to the yeast donut in this recipe, but I have actually purchased them made both ways and I much prefer the lighter texture of the “yeast donut” version of an apple cider donuts recipe. With this recipe, you have all of the flavor of the traditional version, but none of the “heaviness” of the old-fashioned recipe (then again, I have never been a fan of the “cake donuts”, so I may be a little biased!
These are going to taste best if you serve them fairly quickly after you make them. You do need to let them cool for a few minutes before you put the glaze on them, but I would plan to serve them within a few minutes of glazing them. They won’t taste “bad” if you wait an hour or two to serve them, but they won’t taste as good!
- 1 can Pillsbury Grands Biscuits
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 3 tbsp Apple Cider
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 cup Sugar
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- In a heavy pot or a deep fat fryer, heat oil over medium heat to about 350.
- Combine cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar in a shallow bowl and mix well.
- In another bowl, beat powdered sugar and apple cider with whisk until smooth.
- Separate dough into 8 biscuits.
- Using small cutter, cut hole in center of each (you can use the cut-out parts to make donut holes, if you want)
- Place biscuits in hot oil and fry each side until golden brown.
- Remove from oil, dust in cinnamon sugar mixture and place on cooling rack.
- Drizzle each donut with glaze.