They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I have to tell you, it is one of my favorite meals to cook! I love waking my children up to the smell of my homemade cinnamon rolls and in the fall, my pumpkin pancakes recipe. But this Oatmeal Pecan Breakfast Bake is one of my new favorites!
This isn’t an overly sweet breakfast, but it still packs plenty of flavor. Breakfast bakes are meant to be a little drier and less sweet than dessert cakes as they are usually enjoyed alongside a cup of coffee or milk. Think scones, coffee cake, etc…
If you prefer a sweeter cake, you can add a little more white sugar to the mix or top it with a glaze or drizzle with honey!
I made this using almond milk and coconut oil, but if you don’t have those in the house (or don’t want to use those), you can always replace the coconut oil with vegetable oil and the almond milk with “regular” milk.
That said, I found the texture of this to be perfect. The first one I overbaked and it was significantly drier. The second I baked for exactly 22 minutes, and it was perfect. Keep in mind that all ovens are different, so I suggest you check it at 20 minutes. I used a 1.5 quart baking dish that’s 8×10.5 inches. You could also use a 9X9 inch pan, and it should work just fine.
I know that pecans are expensive in some areas (I usually stock up whenever we go to Georgia to visit my mother-in-law…they are about 1/4 of the price that I pay in Pennsylvania!), so if you want to substitute something else in, you can try dried cranberries, raisins or even blueberries. Or, just add them anyway for even more flavor!
Scroll down for the recipe!
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup instant oats
- ½ cup pecans, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 tablespoons pecans, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the coconut oil, butter and both sugars to a large bowl. Beat until thoroughly combined, about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add the almond milk and beat until completely smooth, about 2 more minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, oatmeal, pecans, salt, cinnamon and baking powder.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until combined. Do not overmix.
- Spray a 1.5 quart baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and press the batter into it, making sure to get it as even as possible.
- Mix the topping ingredients and sprinkle evenly over the top of the batter.
- Bake for approximately 20 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Do not overbake.