A classic peppermint bark recipe is made even better with the addition of Oreos. A no-bake recipe that is easy to make and sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
Peppermint Bark was never a cookie/treat that we made in my family when I was young. I don't even think that I even had it until I was about 25 years old and walked in to a store in the mall and they were giving out samples. From then on, I was hooked!
The problem is, if you have ever bought peppermint bark in the past, you know how expensive it is! Sure, in many cases, it comes in a nice giftable tin, but you can usually get some inexpensive cookie tins online or even in your local craft store.
So I have been making my own peppermint bark recipe for quite some time, but since we are all about the Oreos in this house (at least, my children are - have you tried my Oreo Truffles recipe yet?), I thought it might be fun to add some Oreos in to the peppermint bark....and let me tell you - it was a good call!
There are a few options that you can use when it comes to the chocolate that you use for this. When I first started making peppermint bark, I would just use semisweet chocolate chips and white chocolate chips (the kind you use for cookies)...but I quickly learned that kind of chocolate can make a mess of your hands unless it is kept chilled.
For years, the only other alternative was to either temper the chocolate yourself or use those candy melts that are found in the craft stores that don't really taste the best. In the past few years, some of the "better chocolates" have come out with their own version of melting wafers and the taste is so much better! I like the Ghirardelli melting chocolate (you can also find it in your grocery store) as well as the Bakers Microwave Cups (perfect for dipping things like my Cherry Chocolate Christmas Mice!)
Scroll down for the recipe!
Oreo Peppermint Bark Recipe
- 20 Starlight Mints or 10 small Candy Canes
- 12 Oreos
- 8 oz Dark Chocolate use dark melting chocolate for best results
- 8 oz White Chocolate use white melting chocolate for best results
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper.
- Process Oreos in food processor until crushed into larger pieces. Make sure to not grind it too fine - you want some large chunks in there!
- Melt chocolate by microwaving 45 seconds and stirring and repeating until melted and smooth.
- Pour on to prepared cookie sheet and smooth in to an even layer.
- Sprinkle the crushed Oreos over the chocolate.
- Place in refrigerator for 15 minutes to set.
- Crush mints (or candy canes) in a food processor until crushed (you also want to leave some chunks).
- Melt white chocolate chips by microwaving 45 seconds and stirring and repeating until melted and smooth.
- Pour over cooled dark chocolate and Oreos.
- Sprinkle the peppermint over the white chocolate layer.
- Place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to set.
- Break into pieces before serving.
I printed this out for my teen to make. She loved peppermint bark. Merry Christmas! Linda from Cranberry Bush.