This pumpkin spice cake with a cream cheese frosting is sure to be a hit! A slightly dense cake is lightened up with a delicious cream cheese frosting.
Oh – if you are a fan of pumpkin, you are just going to love this pumpkin spice cake with cream cheese frosting. We are huge pumpkin fanatics in this house and my default recipe to satisfy my family's pumpkin cravings is my easy pumpkin muffin recipe, but this is absolutely their new favorite.
As for me? I go in to “pumpkin overload” by having a piece of this pumpkin spice cake along with a cup of my copycat Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte recipe!
A slightly dense cake is lightened up with a creamy and delicious cream cheese frosting. Even though my family generally doesn't like cream cheese, but by mixing in some butter (NOT margarine), the taste of the cream cheese is somewhat “diluted”.
One thing I love about this recipe is that it freezes just beautifully. If you make the recipe exactly, you will end up with quite a bit of pumpkin spice cake, and you can easily freeze any leftovers (yes – even after frosting it). To do this, simply cut any leftover cake in to squares and place them on a cookie sheet that has been lined with wax paper or parchment paper. Place the cookie sheet in the freezer and freeze until firm. After that, all you need to do it wrap each piece of cake individually in plastic wrap!
Although the original recipe calls for making these in a Big Sheet jelly roll pan, I wanted a slightly thicker cake, so I used my largest Pyrex baking dish. To ensure even baking (and to make clean-up about 10 times easier), I lined the pan with aluminum foil (and sprayed the foil with non-stick baking spray) and added about 10 minutes to the baking time.
Even with the extra baking time, it still came out completely moist – just keep an eye on it for the last 10 minutes of baking. When an inserted knife comes out completely clean – it's ready!
Make sure that you let the cake cool completely in the pan before removing it and frosting it. If you used foil to line your pan, you should just be able to slide the cake out and let it sit for a few minutes before frosting it.
Seriously – you are just going to love this pumpkin spice cake with cream cheese frosting – would love to hear how it turns out for you!
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 15 oz can solid pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- OPTIONAL: 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 8 oz cream cheese ("full-fat" is best)
- 4 Tbsp butter, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 - 3½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 - 4 Tbsp milk
- Preheat your oven to 350F
- Line a jelly roll pan or large baking dish with aluminum foil. Spray foil with baking spray.
- Beat sugar, eggs, pumpkin and oil together until completely combined.
- Add remaining ingredients (except nuts) and mix well. Fold in nuts (optional)
- Pour batter in prepared pan and bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting and cutting in to squares
- Beat together butter, cream cheese and vanilla until completely smooth.
- Add 3 cups of the sugar, one cup at a time, beating well between each addition.
- If you want a slightly sweeter frosting, add the last ½ cup of sugar.
- Add 2 Tbsp milk and beat well until the frosting is light and fluffy, adding additional milk if needed.