The weather is starting to get warmer, but that doesn't mean that we have to give up on soup (one of my favorite foods). Once Spring hits, my crockpot is practically a permanent fixture on my counters because it lets me cook so many things (like my crockpot pepper steak recipe) without raising the temperature in the house house (and the house just smells yummy)
French Onion soup is one of my favorite soups and it really is pretty good for you if you skip melted cheese (I actually prefer it now without all the cheese on top these days, but you are welcome to melt some mozzarella on top of yours! I do still top it with a baguette slice). This recipe for french onion Soup in crock pot is just so easy to make and takes just about 10 – 15 minutes to get everything ready!
To make this crockpot French Onion soup, you will need:
3 sliced Onions (use large yellow or Vidalia onions)
1/4 cup Butter
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp Sugar
1 tbsp Brown Sugar
1 tsp minced Garlic
64 oz Beef Broth
1/2 tsp Thyme
1 Bay Leaf
Making it is easy!
First you want to cook up your onions to release their sweetness. Melt your butter in large skillet over medium heat.
Add onions and sugar to pan and cook until light brown in color.
Get a piece of cheesecloth and add thyme and bay leaf and tie up with string to create a bouquet garni (this will allow the flavor of the herbs to get in to your soup, but also make them easier to pull out later)
Place all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on low for 7-9 hours.
Remove cheesecloth and serve! If desired, top with a baguette slice and cheese.
You might want to try these other crockpot recipes:
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos + More Easy Healthy Recipes
- Creamy Crock Pot Mac and Cheese Recipe
- Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Easy Tomato Soup Recipe | Crockpot Cream of Tomato Soup
- 3 sliced Onions (use large yellow or Vidalia onions)
- ¼ cup Butter
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp minced Garlic
- 64 oz Beef Broth
- ½ tsp Thyme
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and sugar to pan and cook over medium heat until onions light brown in color.
- Get a piece of cheesecloth and add thyme and bay leaf and tie up with string to create a bouquet garni.
- Place all ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 7-9 hours.