My husband and sons have a “thing” for barbecue sauce. It’s a more common condiment in our house than ketchup! They all love when I can find new slow cooker BBQ pork recipes and this one is just so simple!
Actually – the whole purpose of using my crockpot is for the simplicity! I just love the “set it and forget it” part of crockpot cooking. I use it for everything from my Chicken Noodle Soup recipe to my easy recipe for chili to my Crockpot Apple Crisp – and even a crockpot Breakfast casserole recipe!
I don’t know who came up with the idea of using soda when making slow cooker BBQ pulled pork recipes, but it really does flavor the pork well (and you really CAN taste the difference, depending on what soda you use!). I have made it with Coke/Pepsi, Sprite (wasn’t a fan) and now with Dr. Pepper. My son wants to see what it will taste like with Mountain Dew (his favorite), but that just seems gross to me. Maybe if I tried using Code Red? That might give it a slight cherry flavor?
Hennyway, this recipe uses Dr. Pepper and I would be happy with just the pork after it has been shredded, but like I said, my family is nuts for barbecue sauce, so we have to add that for them! In my house, there is no substitution for Sweet Baby Ray’s Barbecue Sauce. I have tried making a copycat version of it, but have yet to be successful (although I will keep trying!)
To make it, you will need:
3-4 lb Pork Loin Roast, trimmed of all visible fat
a good Pork Rub or your favorite seasonings
12 oz can Dr Pepper
Barbecue Sauce (we prefer Sweet Baby Ray’s)
Making it is super easy!
Just season your pork loin on all sides with your rub. You will want to really massage the rub in to the meat. Place the pork loin in your slow cooker and pour in the can of Dr. Pepper and set it to low.
After about 10 hours, your pork loin should be falling apart! Remove all the meat to a bowl. Pour out most of the liquid from the crockpot. Shred the pork and return it to you crockpot with the barbecue sauce and cook until heated through!
Scroll down for complete directions!
You might want to try these other crockpot recipes:
- 3-4 lb Pork Loin Roast, trimmed of all visible fat
- a good Pork Rub or your favorite seasonings
- 12 oz can Dr Pepper
- Barbecue Sauce (we prefer Sweet Baby Ray's)
- Season pork with your rub on all sides. Make sure to really massage the rub in to the meat!
- Place pork in slow cooker and pour in Dr Pepper.
- Cook on low 10-12 hours (or High for 7-8 hours.)
- Remove pork and drain most of the liquid from the crockpot.
- Return pork the to your crockpot and, using 2 forks, shred the meat.
- Add barbecue sauce to taste (I will usually use the entire bottle!)
- Stir well and cook on low for a few minutes until barbecue sauce is heated through (it son't take long - maybe 30 minutes)
- Reduce temp to warm for serving.
- Serve on buns with cole slaw on the sandwich or on the side (optional)